Position : Lead Engineer
Reporting to : Head of Department or Project Manager(For direction on specific projects)
Supervises : Assigned Enginners, CADD Designers, Designers, CADD Operators & Draftsmen
- Act professionally and with due diligence at all times to fully safeguard the interests of the company in all business activities.
- Responsible for the execution of all assigned proposals and subsequent projects within his discipline; meeting the company's contractual obligations and the client's needs and expectations, first time, on time, within budget.
- General supervision of his discipline on assigned projects.
- Ensure direct, effective and timely communications of requests for action, responses to requests, routine reporting and important information to the Head of the department, Other Lead Engineers and all supervised staff.
- Implement and maintain a co-ordinated and consitent discipline filing system for each project.
- Ensure effective communications and coordination between all supervised staff, Other Lead Engineers and project Managers to ensure mutual awareness of requirements and sharing of information and common resources.
- Assist the Head of Department in the performance assessment of all supervised staff.
- Advice the Head of Department on necessary training and development requirements of all supervised staff.
- Act as Training Supervisor and/or conduct training for supervised staff under the direction of the Head of Department and Training Manager.
- Assist the Head of Department in the preparation of weekly short term Resource Allocation Reports for his discipline.
- Advise the project Manager and Head of Department when work is conisdered to be outside of this discipline's capability or ability to undertake within project schedule.
- Assist the Head of Department to prepare and estimate of the required man-hours and prepare supporting documentation for all proposals and mojor change orders prior to issue to the Client.
- Provision of support for his discipline to the Sales and Marketing Department.
- Participate in Quality audits in cooperation with the Quality Manager and Head of Department.
- Adhere to Company Quality System and Policies and procedures.
- Advise the Head of Department of additional hardware, software, Standards, Codes of Practice and text book requirements for his discipline.
- Act as Head of Department for his discipline or Lead Engineer for other projects, when requested.
- Be fully aware of, and implement where appropriate, the latest International and National Standards, Codes of Practice and requirements of 'good engineering practice' for all work performed.
- Be fully aware of the Scope of Work, budget and schedule for assigned projects within his discipline.
- Prepare a Design Criteria Report for his discipline.
- Assist the project Manager in the preparation of overtime requests for his discipline.
- Monitor overall productivity and efficiency of all supervised staff on projects, forecast trends and anticipate potential problems and difficulties meeting milestones or budgets, coordinate with Heads of Department and other Lead Engineers to resolve problems.
- Ensure adherence to the contract, Scope of Work and Design Criteria Report, identify variations in a timely manner, whether initiated by the Client or internally. Obtain the Project Manager's approval of direction and any impact upon the project budget or schedule prior to implementation.
- Conduct meetings with all supervised staff to effectively communicate and clarify project requirements. Follow up to ensure a clear understanding.
- Participate in meetings with the project Manager, Client and third Parties, involving supervised staff as required, to communicate and clarify interfaces, requests, decisions, approvals, proposals, status, responses, etc.
- Coordinate requirements between his and other disciplines and with the Project Manager.
- Establish and maintain commnents and hold logs.Prepare responses for the Project Manager and coordinate implementation of the client agreed resolution of all comments.
- Establish and accurately maintain the Drawing Control, Schedule and any other control tools and report for his discipline for the project manager.
- Co-ordinate performance of, or perform non-deliverable activities as required by the project scope of work or as requested by the project Manager, such as: Surveys, studies, reviews, attend meetings, etc.
- Co-ordinate preparation of, or prepare documents as required by the project scope of work or as requested by the project Manager, consisting of :Drawings, specifications, construction scopes of work, calculations, Data sheets, MTO's BQQ's etc.
- coordinate and/or perform a squad check for all documents of other disciplines, reviewing all interfaces to be coordinated.
- coordinate and/or perform a Discipline check for all documents.
- coordinate timely preparation of documents for submittal to the client and third parties as required.
- Review weekly internal and client project status reports and communicate potential problems to the project manager.
- Perform the duties of Engineer or (CADD) Designer for his discipline. Aim to maintain a target minimum 95% of personal time billable to projects.
- Review company policies, procedures and practices to estalish ways to increase the motivation and/or boost the morale of supervised staff. Make recommendations to the Head of Department where a change is beneficial and economically justified.
- Maintain a record of important communications for reference as required.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Head of Department.